- Title Pages
- Abbreviations and acronyms
- 1 Anglo-Portuguese conflicts and the founding of the East India Company
- 2 The voyage east: The beginning of Anglo-Portuguese relations in the East Indies
- 3 The arrival of the English in Macau
- 4 The beginning of regular East India Company trade with China
- 5 The gradual growth of the British presence in Macau in the early eighteenth century
- 6 Macau as a centre for Chinese control of the European “barbarians”
- 7 <i>The visit of the</i> Centurion
- 8 British relations and conflicts with the Portuguese and Chinese authorities in the second half of the eighteenth century
- 9 The “scramble for the use of Macau”<sup>1</sup>
- 10 “Guests and old allies”<sup>1</sup>
- 11 The importance of Macau for the British China trade
- 12 Lord Macartney’s embassy to China, 1792–1794
Hong Kong Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.