Jump to ContentJump to Main Navigation
Taxation Without RepresentationThe History of Hong Kong's Troublingly Successful Tax System$
Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content.

Michael Littlewood

Print publication date: 2010

Print ISBN-13: 9789622090996

Published to Hong Kong Scholarship Online: September 2011

DOI: 10.5790/hongkong/9789622090996.001.0001

Show Summary Details
Page of

PRINTED FROM HONG KONG SCHOLARSHIP ONLINE (www.hongkong.universitypressscholarship.com). (c) Copyright Hong Kong University Press, 2022. An individual user may print out a PDF of a single chapter of a monograph in HKSO for personal use.date: 27 June 2022

After the War: 1945–1947

After the War: 1945–1947

(p.69) 3 After the War: 1945–1947
Taxation Without Representation

Michael Littlewood

Hong Kong University Press

This chapter discusses post-war developments in Hong Kong's system of income taxation as shaped by Sir Mark Young and Sir Alexander Grantham. Young's term in office was marked by his attempt to introduce a normal income tax, resulting in the Inland Revenue Ordinance 1947, which resurrected, in a modified form, the “partial income tax” provided for by the War Revenue Ordinance 1941. Shortly after the Ordinance became law in May 1947, however, he retired and so it fell to Grantham to pursue the goal of a normal income tax. However, the public record suggests that Grantham was reluctant to do anything which would antagonise Hong Kong's business community and that his prevarications effectively transformed the supposedly temporary Ordinance into a permanent feature of Hong Kong's tax system.

Keywords:   income taxation, Mark Young, Alexander Grantham, normal income tax, Inland Revenue Ordinance, partial income tax, War Revenue Ordinance 1941

Hong Kong Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.

Please, subscribe or login to access full text content.

If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.

To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us .