Jump to ContentJump to Main Navigation
The Public Sector in Hong Kong$
Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content.

Ian Scott

Print publication date: 2010

Print ISBN-13: 9789622091726

Published to Hong Kong Scholarship Online: September 2011

DOI: 10.5790/hongkong/9789622091726.001.0001

Show Summary Details
Page of

PRINTED FROM HONG KONG SCHOLARSHIP ONLINE (www.hongkong.universitypressscholarship.com). (c) Copyright Hong Kong University Press, 2020. An individual user may print out a PDF of a single chapter of a monograph in HKSO for personal use.date: 18 February 2020

Rights, Complaints and Redress

Rights, Complaints and Redress

(p.257) 11 Rights, Complaints and Redress
The Public Sector in Hong Kong

Ian Scott

Hong Kong University Press

This chapter discusses and examines how the debates over rights developed in Hong Kong. It also evaluates the extent to which the post-1997 government has protected these rights. In this chapter, the discussion focuses on the evolution of complaint-handling bodies for systematic problems such as corruption and on the work and functions of the Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC). The chapter also discusses the growth of the redress system and the issues and challenges it has encountered. In addition, the chapter aims to define individual rights, complaints which are objections of citizens to inappropriate behaviour of public officials, and redress, which is a remedy sought by a citizen against unfair administrative action.

Keywords:   rights, post-1997 government, complaint, redress system, individual rights

Hong Kong Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.

Please, subscribe or login to access full text content.

If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.

To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us .